As a parent of a disabled child you are entitled to certain benefits and services that can help you, your child and your family. We hear from some families who are unaware of those rights, and this can lead to missing out and struggling without support.
This section of the website will cover those areas of support and entitlements. We cover the following topics:
- Health services.
- Getting practical help from social services.
- Needs assessments - finding out what support your child needs.
- Personal budgets and direct payments - options for paying for social care services.
- Short breaks - your right to having a break from your caring commitments.
- Help with parking - Blue Badge.
- Play, leisure and recreation.
- Aids and equipment.
- Moving into adult services.
- Making a complaint about services.
- Seeking legal advice.
You can also call our helpline (Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5pm) on 0808 808 3555 and speak to one of our advisers for further advice. Where necessary we can also try and suggest organisations that provide support in accessing those services.
- Read our parent guide When your child has additional needs [PDF].