This web page contains recorded webinars, training videos and the latest reports on parent carer participation.
You might also find these web pages useful:
- Case studies - examples showing how parent carer participation has improved services
- Running a parent carer forum - information to help parents set up and run a parent carer forum.
Forums, local authorities and health partners need to work more closely than ever as the SEND reforms are implemented.
Watch this co-production video or watch the subtitled version, where forums, local authorities, health providers and commissioners share their experiences of working in co-production and how it helped them improve services.
Find out how Leeds worked in co-production [PDF] involving people at different levels when implementing the SEND reforms.
You can read more about co-production in our Parent Carer Forum Handbook [PDF].
- Webinar recordings 'Grant applications for parent carer forums' and 'Grant monitoring for parent carer forums', presented by Carolyn Deveney, operations lead, and Ben Bennett, grants programme officer. Due to technical issues during the live webinar recording, this webinar has been split into two separate presentations, one to cover the application process and one to cover the monitoring. Download the application process presentation [PDF] or the monitoring process presentation [PDF], or view the Q&A from the webinar [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Using social media responsibly' presented by Sharon Smith, Contact a Family associate, Amelia Stubberfield, Contact a Family digital engagement officer, and Claire Watts, chair of Bexley Voice. Download the presentation from the day [PDF], along with the following useful supporting documents: example social media policy [DOC], community/members agreements [DOC], photo permissions [DOC], getting started with social media [DOC], useful links [DOC], Q&A from the webinar [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Reach out a little further' presented by trainer Lorraine Pattison along with Steph and Jacqui from Bolton Parent Carer Consortium. This webinar looks at building an inclusive and credible forum. Download the presentation from the day [PDF]. An FAQ document will be available shortly.
- Webinar recording 'Making Your Case', presented by Barbara Wilson, Contact a Family associate, and Kulwinder Bola, Chair of Luton Parent Carer Forum. This webinar enables forums to use a range of evidence gathering tools to effectively influence commissioners, planners and providers. Download the presentation from the day along with the following useful supporting documents: sources of information [DOC], jargon busting [DOC], forum checklist [DOC], creating a survey [DOC], Q&A from the webinar [DOC], traffic light action plan [DOC], NPC report on how charities can use qualitative research [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Roles and responsibilities of the chair, secretary and other forum committee members.' This webinar assists parent carer forums with improving their governance and enhancing decision making within their forums. Download the presentation from the day.
- Webinar recording 'SEND Consultation: Parent Carer Forums' delivered by Ofsted. This webinar looks at the new SEND inspection framework proposals and how parent carer forums can support their parent members to contribute to this important public consultation.
- Webinar recording 'Building Active
Members' with Sue Mennear and Leonie from South Gloucestershire
Parent Carer Forum. The webinar covers: analysing your forum's
current strengths and weaknesses in building active members; learn
what's worked from forums across the country; explore behaviours
that build or prevent participation of new members and much
Download the presentation from the webinar along with the following useful supporting documents: developing a communications strategy [DOC], know, like, trust [DOC], motivation drivers [DOC], strategy chart and example [DOC], working out roles and responsibilities in your forum [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Role of the Treasurer' with Catherine Ratcliffe and Louise of Rotherham Forum. The webinar explains: the roles and responsibilities of the treasurer and the steering group/committee, how to operate a basic accounts system, how to carry out bank reconciliations and handle petty cash systems and muc more. Download the presentation [PDF] associated with this recording along with the following useful supporting documents: template asset register [EXCEL], template report to forum committee [DOC], record of cash spend at event [DOC], event petty cash record [DOC] and useful links and templates for treasurers [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Short Breaks Services, the journey so far..' This webinar explains: what short breaks services are; responsibilities of statutory authorities; how parent carer forums can be involved; and useful resources. Download the presentation from the short breaks webinar [PDF].
- Webinar Recording "I need to know!" SEND Reforms. The biggest reforms in a generation for how children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities are supported across education, health and social care became law on 1st September 2014. View this recorded Webinar to find out more about the new reforms and explore how these changes might affect you and your family. Presented by trainer Caroline Tomlinson, see the presentation associated with this recording [PDF].
- Webinar with Steve Broach on ' Using the law to challenge cuts to short break services [PDF].' View the presentation [PDF] associated with this session. Please note that although Local Authorities will be setting their budgets for 2015/15 in February, the content of the webinar will remain relevant both to the ways in which any proposed budget cuts are implemented and to budgets for future years, which are likely to see further proposed reductions in funding for children's services including short breaks.
- Webinar with Steve Broach on ' What the Children and Families Act 2014 means for parent carer forums.' This document includes the questions not covered in the webinar and other reading material. View the presentation associated with this session.
- Webinar for health commissioners on 'Improving health services for disabled children'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. Read the Q&A from this session.
- Webinar on ' Why do parent carer forums need a financial control policy?' View the presentation associated with this webinar. Read the Q&A from this session.
- Webinar on ' Participation and Health - Next Steps'. View the presentation associated with this webinar.
- Webinar on 'Social media and how it can work for parent carer forums'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. Due to a technical fault the audio quality is quite poor. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- Webinar on 'Remuneration of volunteers and paying workers'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. For examples of documents discussed in the webinar see a Volunteer Agreement and a Remuneration of Volunteers Policy, which you can consider adapting for use in your forum.
- Webinar recording on 'What parent carer forums need to know about the law to influence the provision of post-16 education and post-16 transport'. View the presentation associated with this webinar.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - a guide to assist forums
Within the work that parent carer forums are undertaking, they may asked to sign up to a Memorandum of Understanding. Forums may particularly have been asked to do this by local Independent Support Providers, who have been tasked by their contractor to develop a Memorandum of Understanding with partners, including parent carer forums. Please see the our Memorandum of Understanding guide [PDF].
Latest reports on parent carer participation.
Annual Report from the National Network of Parent Carer Forums
October 2015 [PDF]
- Strengthening Parent Carer Participation: The national picture, April 2014 to March 2015 [PDF], which reports on the Strengthening Parent Participation Project over the last year.
- Parent Carer Forums Survey 5- Implementation of the SEND Reforms
- Parent Carer Forums Survey 3 - Implementation of the SEND Reforms Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses November 2014 [PDF]
- Special Educational Needs and Disability - Readiness for Reform Survey 2 Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses May/June 2014 [PDF]
- Special Educational Needs and Disability - Readiness for Reform Survey 1 Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses February 2014 [PDF]
- Strengthening Parent Carer Participation - The National Picture, April 2012 to March 2013 [PDF]
- National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) Progress report [PDF]
- Parent carer forum involvement in shaping health services [PDF]
- Parent carer participation - an overview - good practice in developing parent carer participation, written for commissioners and service managers
Learning on YouTubeSummary versions of training sessions held
across the country are available on YouTube. Some of the sessions
also have supporting documentation.
- Videos on law and disabled children - Barrister Steve Broach gives the legal context on school transport, school funding, short breaks, personal budgets and direct payments, recent health developments, welfare reform, housing benefit and council tax benefit, the children and families bill for parent forums.
- The law and parent carer forums - how parent carer forums can use the law. This handout gives further information.
- Practicalities and legalities of running a forum - you'll find examples of forum policy and governance documents on our Setting up and running a forum page.
The Contact a Family and NNPCF parent carer participation
Contact a Family and the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) produce a joint information bulletin. This bulletin contains key information about the development of parent carer participation, information about key changes in England, news for local forums, the latest news from the NNPCF and opportunities for forums to participate.